HRH Prince Edward visits Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Published: 25 Mar 2019
THE UNIVERSITY’S BUSINESS SCHOOL PARTNERS WITH THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH’S INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOUNDATION
HRH The Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex KG GCVO, accompanied by John May, Secretary General of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation, met with Heriot-Watt students and staff and toured the University’s cutting edge departments of engineering, architecture and the School of Textiles and Design today (Monday, 25 March).
During the visit, Prince Edward, spoke about the Award programme and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the visit.
To mark the occasion, the University’s Principal and Vice Chancellor, Professor Richard Williams and Secretary General, John May, signed a Memorandum of Understanding between the Foundation and Edinburgh Business School, the graduate school of business at Heriot-Watt. The document recognizes both organizations’ commitment to promote development and education of young people globally.
Professor Richard Williams, said:
“We are delighted to welcome HRH The Prince Edward Earl of Wessex and John May, Secretary General of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation to Heriot-Watt University in Dubai and we are grateful for the opportunity to demonstrate the remarkable achievements of our students and staff.
“We are a global University, with campuses in the UK, Dubai and Malaysia and we invite students from all over the world to join our global family. Today, we reaffirmed our commitment to provide education opportunities for people regardless of their background, culture or physical ability and we are proud to partner with The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation to deliver this promise.”
John May, Secretary General of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation, said:
“The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation is delighted to partner with Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University, to offer a world-class Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme to the Award family.
“This partnership will enable the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award leaders to gain invaluable business insight and skills which will help as many young people as possible to have access to great non-formal education such as The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award.
“The opportunity to undertake an MBA from such a prestigious university will provide our leaders with the skills to make a lasting difference and positive impact on the Award’s delivery.
“We look forward to working in partnership with Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University as together we endeavour to help young people develop the skills needed to become responsible and active citizens in their communities and beyond.”
Prince Edward’s visit coincided with his attendance at the annual Global Education & Skills Forum, which brings together world leaders from the public, private and social sectors to achieve ongoing goals in education.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
PHOTOGRAPHS ATTACHED FREE TO USE […]
HRH The Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex KG GCVO and Secretary General, John May were welcomed by Principal and Vice Chancellor of Heriot-Watt University, Professor Richard Williams, Dubai Provost Professor Ammar Kaka and Chief Operating Officer, Dr. Mathew Sukumaran.
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University is a specialist, pioneering university with a reputation for innovative research and highly employable graduates. It has approximately 29,000 students at five campuses based in Scotland, the UAE and Malaysia, and in over 160 other countries through its distance learning programmes. It has been named International University of the Year by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 and is ranked among the World's Top 500 by all three major rankings – QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education World University Rankings and Academic Ranking of World Universities.
About Edinburgh Business School
Edinburgh Business School is a graduate school of business of Heriot-Watt University, with campuses in the UK, Dubai and Malaysia, and local presence in six continents. Since its establishment as a charity in 1997, the school has made progress in broadening access to postgraduate education in business and providing study opportunities globally. Edinburgh Business School offers a portfolio of flexible online MBA, DBA and MSc programmes and has over 10,000 active students and 20,000 alumni across 166 countries.
About The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award is a global, non-formal education framework which challenges young people to develop new skills, get physically active, learn about teamwork and leadership through adventurous journey and volunteer within their community.
- It is known by a range of different names around the world – including, to name a few, the DofE in the UK, the President’s Award in South Africa, The International Award for Young People in India and Mednarodno priznanje za mlade (MEPI) in Slovenia.
- There are currently 1.3 million young people completing their own unique programme, via hundreds of thousands of youth-focused partners and operators, including schools, youth organisations, examination boards and youth offender institutions.
- From running as an established programme in a blind boys’ academy in India, to the introduction into youth organisations in Israel and projects working with teenage mothers in New Zealand; the Award’s framework can support and thrive in a multitude of different environments.
- Since its launch over 60 years ago, millions of young people have participated and received Awards, with millions more benefitting from its impact in communities around the world.
- Both national and international case studies, imagery and additional video content are available on request.
- For more information, please visit www.intaward.org or www.worldready.org.
Social Media posts – Twitter, Instagram, Facebook
*Official photograph of the welcoming party
- We are delighted to welcome HRH Prince Edward and @intaward Secretary General John May to @HWUDubai. HRH was received by Principal @RichardAWilliams, Provost @AmmarKaka, COO Dr Matthew Sukumaran. #RoyalVisit #TrulyGlobal
*Picture with students
- It was a pleasure host HRH Prince Edward at @HWUDubai. The students and staff were delighted showcase their work and achievements. #TrulyGlobal #RoyalVisit
*EBS Collaboration (Please note “.” before @HeriotWattUni)
- .@HeriotWattUni Principal @RichardAWilliams and @intaward Secretary General, John May, signed MoU between the Foundation and @EBS_Global committing to promote development and education of young people globally.
- HRH Prince Edward and John May, Secretary General of @intaward, met with @HeriotWattUni students and staff and toured the University’s cutting edge departments of engineering, architecture and the School of Textiles and Design. #TrulyGlobal #RoyalVisit